We had some rye flout and made rye bread. It turned out marvelous! Two things to change from the original recipe is - bake at 350 and use a little less of the wheat flour, maybe half a cup less, I think it might be better.
Original recipe: https://www.marthastewart.com/866882/rye-bread
2 tablespoons yeast
2 1/4 cups warm water
4 tablespoons honey
4 tablespoons (half a stick) melted butter
2 tablespoons caraway seeds plus more for topping..if you remember!
2 tablespoons salt
3 1/2 cups flour
2 1/2 cups rye flour
egg for egg wash
silicon mats for baking on
1. In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine water, yeast and honey. Mix.
2. Add in butter, caraway seeds, and salt. Mix.
3. Add in all the flours and mix with the dough hook until a nice dough ball forms.
4. Cover with saran wrap and let rise.
5. separate into two loaves and place on silicon baking mats. Cover with saran wrap with a towel on top. Let rise.
6. Preheat oven to 350 F
7. Apply beaten egg as egg wash and sprinkle with caraway seeds on top
8. Bake about 40 minutes until done.
9. Serve! Warm with butter and sprinkled with salt is fantastic!
What we liked:
It was great!
What we didn't like:
a little less flour might be better
What Kaspian thought about it:
follow the recipe above which deviates from the original slightly by flour amounts